Catarina, from Seamwork

I've been wanting to make the Catarina dress, from Seamwork magazine for a long time, about 1 year, I think.

This month, when i received the new Atelier Brunette fabrics and saw the new Forest crepe, I knew it had to become a Catarina dress.

So, I finally took the time to go to a print shop and have the pattern printed. Lately I have used this method for downloadable patterns, I am done with the cutting and taping and all the angles that don't really match. 

The dress has a simple construction but I wouldn't call it a 1 hour making. It took a while more. In fact when I got to the gathering along the waistline, I was getting mad at all the slippery fabric and decided to leave it for another day.

The truth is, I always have a problem with sizes. I measure myself with precision, I check all the indicated measures and I usually end up with something too large.

This time was no exception, I cut a size 6 and I now believe that to look like the pattern picture, I should have cut a size 2. Any suggestions??

So, after two days of thinking if I would ever use the dress, I decided to finish it. I didn't want to unmake and redo all the bodice, so I chose to go with a loose fit.

This is a really summery dress, the fabric is fresh and drapes beautifully it has a lovely green that I don´t believe I got to catch in the pictures.

I will wear this dress more that I thought while making it!

Catarina é um vestido da revista Seamwork que tenho debaixo de olho há já algum tempo.

Quando recebi os novos tecidos do atelier Brunette e vi o crepe Forest ao vivo, soube logo que ia finalmente fazer este vestido.

Imprimi o molde na Staples, ultimamente a paciência para colar e cortar folhas A4 não é muita e a verdade é que quase sempre tenho problemas com ângulos que não acertam tão perfeitamente como deviam.

O vestido em si, não é tão simples como aparenta, o corpo é forrado, a saia é franzida e com elástico transparente a suportar a cintura mais justa e há ainda os detalhes pequenos mas demorados, como as alças e o cinto mas, essa parte até é gira de fazer!

O meu problema foi, mais uma vez o tamanho. Seguindo as indicações e as minhas medidas, cortei um tamanho 6. No entanto, depois de concluído, penso que com um tamanho 2 ficaria mais parecido com a fotografia que acompanha o molde.

O facto de estar muito largo no corpo e de a saia franzida me escorregar por todos os lados enquanto a cosia ao corpo, levou-me a abandonar o pobre vestido por uns dias até assimilar a ideia de um vestido mais largo, num estilo meio grego, fresco e veranesco.

Agora que o vesti, acho que vou usá-lo bastante, precisamente por ser largo e por o tecido ser tão fresco e suave.